Monday, May 12, 2014

CTMH Mother's Day box cards


Hello! Hello!  I have been super excited to share these on my blog, but I didn't want two special people to accidentally discover them.  Now that they have received them, I decided to share them online.  I first ran across the idea on the Close To My Heart facebook page.  I watched a couple of You Tube videos.  They are a lot easier to create than I ever thought possible.  I am sharing a picture tutorial with you.   It does not include the flowers inside.  For the flowers, I cut out flowers with my Cricut, layered them, and glued them onto a toothpick using Close To My Heart's Liquid Glass.  Worked perfectly!  Just adhered at different heights.  Glued other embellishments on at different heights to create the dimension.  If you have any questions, ask away!


I began with an 8 1/2" x 12" piece of cardstock.

Score the paper along the 12" side at the following measurements:  2 3/4"      5 1/2"     8 1/4"   and 11". I used a pencil above just so you can see. 

Then, turn the paper so the 12" length is vertical.  Cut 2" off edge. Reserve this piece for later.



Along the short side (6 1/2"), score 2 3/4" from the edge.  This score should go perpendicular to the other score lines.  Once again I used a pencil so you could see it better.

Using a pair of scissors, cut along the shorter lengths up to the horizontal line.
Here you can see the cuts to the horizontal line.  On the end with one inch, simply cut past the horizontal line on an angle as shown above. 


Fold the longer panels together to form a box and the shorter panels downward (outward) to form the flaps for the box.


Apply glue to the tab and adhere the tab onto the inside of the box.  I used Close To My Heart's Bonding Glue Pen.


I am sorry the next few pictures are upside down.  I am having technical difficulties!  I will have to update this tutorial when I have a few spare minutes (lol). 
Place the edge with the 1" section into your trimmer and slide it to the 4 3/4" measurement.  Cut. You can discard the longer piece.

Turn the 4 3/4" x 2" rectangle and place in trimmer as shown above.  Cut it in half, which is at 1".


Fold the 1" tabs inwards.


Apply glue or adhesive of choice to the tabs. Line the tabs up to the edge in box and press into place.  Decorate inside as desired!


To decorate the box with panels as shown below, you will need to cut:
3 rectangles 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" 
3 rectangles 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"
2 rectangles 2 1/2" x 6 1/4"

Glue them onto the box.  The longest ones go on the panel you will use as the backdrop for your card.  One on the inside and one on the outside.  This also stabilizes that side.

When you flatten the card, it will look like the above photo or  the bottom photo. 
Pretty cool, huh?  I hope you enjoy making your own!
Wishing you a happy day! -Dari

No comments:

Post a Comment