Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Coconut Cloud Cream Moisturizer

Good afternoon!  I just got back from my first run of the season.  It felt so good outside today.  My life is a little crazy right now.  I had four kids 4 and under today.  The four year old was my own.  Needless to say, I haven't had a lot of time to do extra things, but my face told me I had to make more moisturizer!  I ran out about 2 weeks ago, and I have just put it off.  The sad thing is that it doesn't take very long to make.  Deciding to just do it is more than half the battle!

Anyway, I decided to take pics while I was making it so I could share it with you.  I LOVE this recipe.  I have been making it for years now.  The original recipe comes from my favorite DIY beauty book, Natural Beauty at Home by Janice Cox (2nd Ed.).  I bought mine on Amazon many years ago and it is my go to.

Her recipe  is as follows:
2 T. stearic acid powder
1/4 C. coconut oil
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 C. distilled water
A few drops coconut fragrance (opt.)

Here is my version of it:
1 T. beeswax
1/4 C. coconut oil
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 C. distilled water
5 drops essential oil of choice
(Today I used 1 drop Rosemary, 3 drops Lemongrass & 4 drops Bergamot)
(Another favorite of mine is 3 drops Geranium & 2 drops Lavender)


Oops! I forgot to put the essential oils out, too (lol).


The first step is to grate the beeswax.  I just use my hand kitchen grater.  Place the beeswax and the coconut oil into a double boiler (or if you don't have one you can place a smaller saucepan inside a larger pan.  Fill the larger pan with about 1 inch of water.  If you have a canning lid, place it in the bottom and then the smaller saucepan on top).  Heat the water to boiling over medium heat.  Just stir the mixture occasionally until it is completely melted.



Meanwhile, place the distilled water and the baking soda in a microwave safe dish and "nuke" it for 1 minute.


Here you can see the coconut oil and beeswax melted.

Here is my high end blender!  Funny thing is that I have had some really nice ones, but somehow they haven't lasted.  Yet, this blender that some wonderful person gave us for our wedding 15 years ago is still up and running!

Place the melted oil mixture in the blender.   With the blender running, slowly pour the water mixture in.  Add the essential oils and blend them in as well.

And here is the finished product!  Oh.  A little tip: pour/scrape the lotion into the container you plan on using while it is still warm.  The lotion will continue to thicken as it cools.  

I love this so much that I use it for my everyday lotion.  I use it on my face, hands, feet, etc.  This lasts about 2 months.

Hope you enjoy! -Dari

No comments:

Post a Comment